Since SOCKS protocol allows any TCP/IP connections (including POP3 & SMTP), you can easily use SOCKS proxy for working with programs, which can't use proxy servers.You should use program for socksification (socksificator) for using of SOCKS proxy. For example, SocksCap (more details about this program see here).
Why you need to use socksification?
- to make the program use proxy server, if it can't do it;
- to teach the program to use SOCKS proxy (if the program can use only HTTP proxy).
How to socksify programs?
To socksify the program by using SocksCap , you need to do the following:
Install the program and setup it:
- Push the button New....
- In the presented window New Application Profile click Browse... and select the necessary program ( for example Outlook Express )
Prompt: You need to specify the program filename - to find it's location, look into the properities of your program icon.
- In the menu File select the point Setup... and enter the name and the port (usually 1080) of your socks proxy.
- Specify the type of your proxy server (Socks 4 / Socks 5), and also (if it necessary) the login and the password.
- Click OK.
- Now, to launch the program with using SOCKS proxy, double click on its name in the menu of the program SocksCap (from the program, not from the browser!)
- It should work.
More details about SocksCap you can see here.
Several moments of the socksification
Not all programs can be socksified. You can socksify all the TCP/IP protocol and UDP (by using SOCKS 5 proxy). So, it is impossible to socksificate the following:
- ping , trcert - they use ICMP protocol. By the way it is impossible to let them come through proxy;
- active FTP protocol. There are passive FTP and active FTP. Passive FTP intends one connection by TCP/IP client with server. Active - two connections (for data exchange and commands exchange). That is why it is possible to socksificate (and proxate) only passive FTP (it is supported by all the browsers).
Also, some programs can't be socksified - its can use special methods to bypass socksificators. You can try use diiferent programs for socksification for socksify these programs.
back to proxy FAQ